Most modern homes have dehumidifiers for particular reasons. It is quite a vital electronic appliance that ensures balanced humidity in the home. It works in the alternative way to a humidifier. This device helps to reduce extra moisture and dampness from the air. All the water is stored in the water tank, and then you need to empty the tank when that is full.
If you use a dehumidifier, it is important to know how to drain a dehumidifier to the outside. To drain the water, every dehumidifier has its own mechanism. Some dehumidifiers automatically drain out the collected water, dehumidifier with pump can be a good example. To prevent overflow, you need to empty the water reservoir by any way.
This guide will let you know how to empty the water tank or how to drain a dehumidifier. There are generally two types of dehumidifiers; dehumidifier without pump and dehumidifier with pump. We will discuss for each type to drain a dehumidifier to the outside.
Also Read: How Long Does a Dehumidifier Last?
How to Drain a Dehumidifier to the Outside?
As different types of dehumidifiers are available on the market, the processes to drain dehumidifiers are also different. Many people don’t like to use a dehumidifier because of the hassle when emptying it. But if you know the procedure, you will never feel bored to drain the dehumidifier to the outside. If you purchase a dehumidifier with a drain port, you can empty the water reservoir quite easily.
1) Drainage with Gravity
Many dehumidifiers don’t have built-in pumps. So, you will need to drain them to the outside by using the power of gravity. You will need to collect a drain hose and connect that to the dehumidifier’s drainage connection.
Some dehumidifiers come with a drain hose. If your dehumidifier doesn’t have any drain hose, you should buy one that fits your dehumidifier. You have to connect one end of the hose to the drain port of your dehumidifier and another end should be placed to the floor drain hole. This will be helpful for proper drainage.
For the proper drainage, the drain hole should be located in such a way that is lower than the dehumidifier position. In this way, the water can easily flow downwards from end to end of the drain hose. If there is no floor drain hole, you should drain the collected water into a sink or outside the window.
This process will be done using the gravity. You should definitely place your dehumidifier minimum 6-inch above from any of your selected drainage point.
Steps to follow:
1. Place the dehumidifier securely on the table.
2. Place the dehumidifier above the drainage location, that means the drainage location should be lower than the dehumidifier’s position.
3. Now, connect one end of the hose to the dehumidifier’s drain port and other end to the selected drainage location.
4. Complete the process and your dehumidifier will be ready for the next operation.
2) Drainage Using External Condensate Pump
Sometimes the gravity drainage system may not work for your dehumidifier. In that case, a condensate pump is very helpful. You will need to buy it. A condensate pump will assist in pumping out collected water in the drain hole or into a sink.
It can elevate the level of water vertically and horizontally. The setting of this procedure is effortless also.
For proper drainage, the water is collected in the condensate pump. When the pump is full with water, it will start draining the water through the hose to any drainage point like a sink.
Steps to follow:
1. Place your dehumidifier at a higher point and next to condensate pump.
2. The condensate pump has a top connection, connect the hose to this connection. Pick the other end and attach that to the dehumidifier’s drain port.
3. Now check other connection of the pump. Attach a small hose to this connection. Another end of the hose should be connected to any place where you want to drain the dehumidifier, it may be the sink or outside.
4. Turn on the external condensate pump and the process is done.
3) Drainage for Dehumidifier with Pump
When you have a dehumidifier with pump, drainage is simpler with it. You will not face any hassle while draining this type of dehumidifier to the outside. Simply get a hose and connect it with the dehumidifier.
The built-in pump will do all other works to drain out the collected water via the connected hose without any manual work. All will be done automatically and the water will be drained in crawl space, into drain hole, in the sink, or outside of the window.
You don’t need to install the dehumidifier at a upper point than the drainage position. With the help of the pump, the water can reach horizontally or vertically up to 15 ft. height.
There are many dehumidifiers that have caster wheels. So, when dehumidifying is done, you can transport it to the location of drainage. For your basement, you can purchase a dehumidifier with built-in pump. This is convenient and can benefit you in various ways.
Steps to follow:
1. It is recommended to install the dehumidifier at a higher place or on the secure ground.
2. Get a drain hose, attach one end of it to the dehumidifier’s drain port.
3. Fix a drainage location, place hose’s other end to it.
4. Start the dehumidifier for next and continuous operation.
Wrapping It Up
We always want appliances that are easy to use and don’t come with troublesome features. You can purchase dehumidifier with built-in pump that will lessen so many trouble, basically, when it comes to drain the dehumidifier to the outside.
Read the above guide and apply all the steps carefully. I hope, you will not face any hassle to drain the dehumidifier.